Trash Collection:

How do I arrange trash and recyclables pickup?

Trash pick-up and recycling is handled through private waste haulers. Residents are responsible for contacting their own waste hauler and making the necessary arrangements for the collection of trash and recyclables.

And of course for a future healthy planet earth, always remember to recycle whatever you can!


Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb and Battery Recycling:

“I used to bring CFL bulbs and batteries to the Township Building to be recycled, can I still do this?”

No. That program was operated by PPL and is no longer available. Upper Saucon Township cannot accept any products for recycling. You can take most items to CleanEarth in Allentown. 


General Information:

“I’m buying an existing house in the township, do I need a Certificate of Occupancy to move in?”

No. A certificate of occupancy inspection for the resale of a residential property is not required in Upper Saucon township.

How many people live in Upper Saucon Township?

Approximately 18,000 people currently live in the Township.

Who serves on the Township’s governing body?

Upper Saucon Township is governed by a five member Board of Supervisors who are elected at large by the voters. Additionally, the Township retains a full-time professional staff to provide services to the residents. The township also has many residents who volunteer to serve on boards and commissions. You can view the information here.

Is Upper Saucon a First Class or Second Class Township?

Upper Saucon is a Second Class Township.

What is the difference between a First Class Township and a Second Class Township?

In terms of Pennsylvania law, the “class” of a municipality depends not on money, status, or prestige, but on population. To become a first class township, townships of the second class must have a population density of 300 people per square mile and voters must approve the change of classification in a referendum. There are many townships like Upper Saucon that meet the density requirement but remain second class.

The 1,457 townships of the second class are the most popular form of government in the Commonwealth, representing more Pennsylvanians than any other form of government.

Click here to learn more about the structure of Pennsylvania local government.

Tax Collector:

Who is the Tax Collector?

Deborah Herstine – Click here for full contact info.

What is the Township’s millage rate?

The Township’s real estate tax rate is 1.6451 mills. One mill generates $1 for every $1,000 of assessed property value. At a rate of 1.6451 mills, the owner of a property assessed at $100,000 will pay $164.51 a year.


What items must be recycled?

The following items must be recycled:

  • Glass: Clear, brown and green bottles and jars
  • Cans: Aluminum (soda), steel, bi-metal cans (food, juice and coffee cans, etc.)
  • Plastics: Bottle and jar containers (Milk, soda, water, detergent, shampoo)
  • Newspapers: Tied with cotton string or biodegradable twine.

Where can I get a recycling container?

You can pick-up a recycling bin at the Municipal Building, 5500 Camp Meeting Road, during normal business hours 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday. The first bin that is issued to a new dwelling is free. The total cost to purchase replacement bins are $9.21 for a large (18 gallon) container and $3.46 for a small (5 gallon) container. Residents are not required to use township provided recycling containers. 

Leaf and Yard Waste Drop-Off Center:

Where can I dispose of yard waste?

Township residents can dispose of leaves and other yard waste at the drop-off center located on Liberty Road. Grass is accepted. Large tree limbs (greater than six inches in diameter or five feet in length) are not accepted at the drop-off center. Click here to see a list of the dates and times the drop-off center will be open this year.

Public Library:

Is there a public library in the Township?

Yes. The Southern Lehigh Public Library is located at 3200 Preston Lane in Center Valley, directly across the street from the entrance to Upper Saucon Township Community Park. For more information, call the Library directly at (610) 282-8825 or click here to visit their web site.

Highway Department:

My mailbox was damaged during snow plowing, who is responsible?

The Township only assumes responsibility when the plow comes in direct contact with your mailbox. If damage was done as a result of snow expelled from the plow, it is the property owner’s responsibility.

Read the policy here


What is the open burning policy in Upper Saucon Township?

Ordinance No. 84 allows Opening Burning, provided the following requirements are met:

  • Burning must be at least 25 feet from any building or structure, and 50 feet from any wooded area.
  • Burning shall take place on your own property, and not on any Township road, swale, bridge, curb, or drainage system.
  • Burning must be attended at all times until the fire is fully extinguished, and fire extinguishing equipment shall be available for immediate use.
  • Burning is not permitted before dawn or after dusk.
  • Burning is not permitted during windy conditions.
  • Burning is not permitted on Sundays or Holidays, unless written permission is obtained from the Upper Saucon Township Fire Chief. To obtain permission, please fill out an Open Burning Permit at least 10 days before your scheduled burn.
  • Burning of any field, meadow, or land area is permitted with written permission of the Upper Saucon Township Fire Chief. To obtain permission, please fill out an Open Burning Permit at least 10 days before your scheduled burn.
  • Residents are not allowed to burn trash, household waste, or any other material which would impose an unreasonable health or safety risk to people or property in the surrounding area.

Upper Saucon Township wants those doing open burning to do so in a safe, courteous manner. We encourage all those interested in burning to contact the Upper Saucon Township Fire Chief at 610-791-0266 to see if the weather conditions are favorable for burning.

If you have questions about the Township’s open burning policy, please contact the Upper Saucon Township Fire Chief at 610-791-0266.

Water and Sewer Billing:

How often am I billed?

Water and Sewer bills are mailed out quarterly – every January, April, July and October. In most instances, payment is due 30 days after the mailing date. Payments can be made in person at the Municipal Building or by mail. A 10% penalty is added to delinquent bills.

How does the Township read my water meter?

Water meters are read every quarter by scanning the small black read-out box located somewhere on the exterior of your home. The read-out box is wired to the water meter which is usually located in your basement.

Who do I call if I have a question about my water or sewer bill?

If you have a question about your water or sewer bill, please contact Utility Billing at 610-282-1171 ext. 1229.


Lehigh County is responsible for all aspects of Voting. If you have questions about voting, voter registration, where to vote, you will need to contact the Voter Registration Office at Lehigh County:

Lehigh County Government Center
17 South Seventh Street
Allentown, PA 18101-2400
Voter Registration
please call (610) 782-3194

The Upper Saucon Township Municipal Building is a polling location only.